It is the President's Day holiday, so with no school today but Daddy having to work, Elizabeth and I took advantage of using the Living Social coupon that Mary and Andrew got as a gift for Elizabeth to take a drop-in art class at the SF Children's Art Center. We drove to Fort Mason and I was surprised to find out that when we got there, it was also meant to be a drop off class, too. Which means that I was supposed to leave. Elizabeth and I both were surprised so it took a little coaxing to get her to be ok, but actually not too much before I could leave her with playdough, painting and more. Turns out they also did story time and snack in the 1.5 hr session, too. I sat outside the small studio just in case things turned sour, but she did just fine and was very excited to show me her works of art - complete with a big smile and a splotch of red paint next to her right eye.
We then drove home and hopped on the train downtown to see a claymation movie of the book we just checked out of the library (and she can't STOP reading! :)) - Frog and Toad are Friends. It is showing at the Contemporary Jewish Museum on only special days until March alongside an exhibit featuring the author's artwork, so it was a must-do! The movie was a lot of fun - they set up bean bags in a conference room with a big screen and we snuggled up to watch Frog and Toad Together and Frog and Toad are Friends. The room was packed with kids and parents, all laughing and talking about the movie as it went. A fun atmosphere and Elizabeth was really into it, giggling especially at the stories she recognized. At the beginning she said in her normal voice (which of course is totally loud), "Who is that? Frog or Toad?" and about 10 kids snapped their heads towards her to answer "It is Toad" before I could even try to respond. It was so cute all I could do was kiss her sweet head that was firecracker crazy covered with a messy ponytail and a polka dot headband barely keeping her curly blonde hair from exploding all over the darkened room.
We played in the family zone with some blocks on a light table (very cool) and made story books out of transluecent colored paper before it became obvious that it was time to start getting some lunch. We went to the Madeleine Cafe and chowed down on yummy salami and eggplant sandwiches (respectively), yogurt, milk and probably the yummiest lemon bar I've ever had. We sat outside and watched the busy street and people passing by and just laughed and talked. Elizabeth almost lost her sandwich and I caught it and she shouted out, "Nice catch Mom!" I also told her that I really liked being in San Francisco with her and she said she really liked being in San Francisco with me, too.
With a short swing through the biggest Old Navy I have ever seen on the way back to the train to try on sunglasses, shoes, and scarves, I would have to say that it was a really happy day. Now it's time for a nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment